The last thing you want to do is add more to-do’s to your day – we know! You’re busy! But guess what? So are the fittest, healthiest, and most successful among us who still make time for habits that prime them for more health, happiness, and success. Here are a few simple tips to help you in your daily routine to become a healthier and happier individual.
1. Early risers are more pro-active, use the extra time to exercise, to meditate or get a healthy breakfast. Get up 5 minutes earlier each day until you reach your goal “getting up time.” Get moving as soon as you wake up. Try some stretches or a morning jog.
2. A healthy breakfast is a great way to give you the energy you need to start the day. If you need help planning or deciding what a healthy breakfast may consist of, we’re here to help. Send us an email or give us a call.
3. Drinking water throughout the day ensures that you are properly hydrated and in return will help you to feel less fatigued. Start your day with a cup of hot water and lemon to aid with digestion and keep a bottle of water close by to remind yourself to keep sipping throughout the day.
4. Our bodies were not designed to be sedentary. A short walk around the office or standing and working can reverse vascular dysfunction. Try exercising at your desk. Try chair squats while you’re at work. Stand up and lightly tap your bum on the chair 10 times. Repeat 3 times.
5. Prepare you lunch and snacks at home so that you’re less tempted to raid the vending machine or plagued by the office donuts and candy.
6. Exercising in the middle of the day helps boost concentration, energy, and reduce stress.
7. The time you spend commuting can be used to improve both your mental and physical health. Leave your bus stop early and walk the rest of the way home. If you drive, try walking or biking to work and home.
8. The power of sex. From fixing a migraine and reducing stress/anxiety to boosting your mood and even lowering blood pressure, getting frisky pays off. You can thank a surge of hormones and endorphins that your body releases during sex for the health benefits. How much and how often you get busy varies with every couple but just knowing that long term perks of a morning quickie helping jump start your day isn’t bad.
9. Eating food late at night can have a big impact on your quality of sleep. Eat dinner at least 2 hours before your bedtime. If you find that you’re too hungry to go to bed. Have another portion of protein and some complex carbs, i.e. sweet potatoes, rice, or quinoa.
10. The way you feel while you’re awake depends on the kind of sleep you’re getting. Good sleep is vital in order to maintain good health and well-being. Take a warm bath/shower to help relax the body for a good night’s sleep. Switch off all of your screens 30 minutes prior to sleeping. Perform low intensity exercise. Stretching before bed can improve quality of sleep.
Adopting your daily routine to include these healthy habits will help to improve your energy levels, health, and motivation. So choose one to get you started today and feel the benefits of the people who stay healthy feel.