Paleo Pasta with Shrimp, Sausage, & Peppers
1 medium spaghetti squash
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb organic chicken sausage
2 TBS coconut oil
2 tsp Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp crushed red pepper
1 ½ tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 lb wild shrimp
1 green bell pepper, sliced or chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced or chopped
1 yellow/orange bell pepper, sliced or chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced or chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 jar pasta sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the squash to clean and then put in the oven while preheating. (Heating makes it easier to cut.)
- When the oven reaches the desired temp, remove squash. Cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and place facedown on a cookie sheet. Add water to the cookie sheet so that the bottom is covered with a thin layer. Cook squash for 30 to 60 minutes, depending on size, checking occasionally for doneness. The squash is done when the outside skin can be pushed in.
- Meanwhile, add garlic, sausage and 1 TBS coconut oil to a large sauté pan. In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Once the sausage is slightly cooked (5 to 10 minutes), add the shrimp and half the spice mixture and cook for an additional five minutes, mixing occasionally until the shrimp is mostly cooked. Remove the sausage/shrimp from heat.
- In a large pan, add remaining coconut oil, peppers, onions, and remaining spice blend and place over medium-low heat. Cook until the peppers start to soften, then add mushrooms and pasta sauce.
- Add sausage/shrimp mixture, cover pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is done.
- Use a fork to remove the squash from its skin and add to the sauté pan. Simmer longer to enhance flavor or serve immediately.
You can also serve the sausage/shrimp/veggie mixture on top of squash.