(Gluten, Nut, and Dairy Free!)
1 cup dried coconut (you can choose to use unsweetened if you want)
1 cup raw walnuts (Want nut free? Substitute for 1 cup sunflower seeds or try ¼ cup ground flax and 3/4 cup sunflower seeds)
2 pinches sea salt
2.5 TBS coconut oil, melted
2 TBS maple syrup
- Blend dried coconut in food processor alone for 60 seconds. Add in walnuts (or sunflower seed substitute option), sea salt, blend into a fine meal.
- Blend in melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Roll dough out in-between 2 layers of wax paper so that it is about 1/4” thick.
- Put in freezer to firm up. Once firm, remove from freezer and use a round cookie cutter to cut your cookies. Should make 8 large cookies or 12 average sized ones. (Or make one large square cookie, and later cut it up into smaller bars.)
Coconut + Caramel Layer:
8 medjool dates
1 TBS water
2 TBS coconut oil, melted
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 cup dried coconut (you can choose to use unsweetened if you want)
***Optional: 1 TBS carob powder (carob boosts the sweet caramel flavor!)
- Blend medjool dates with water in a food processor.
- Add in coconut oil. Add in sea salt, and carob powder. Add in a little more water if needed to get caramel to mix better.
- Blend in 1/2 cup dried coconut.
- Pat down a layer of coconut caramel onto each cookie then sprinkle a garnish of dried coconut.
4 TBS coconut oil, melted
4 TBS raw cacao powder
2 TBS maple syrup
Stir together coconut oil, cacao powder, and maple syrup. Pour into a little bag, and carefully snip off a little corner of the bag, so you can pipe the chocolate in strips across your cookies. If chocolate is too warm it will be really runny, so just find the balance between melty and firm to get a nice even strip.
**Optional: For an extra chocolaty taste, spoon a little of the chocolate icing on the base cookie layer before adding the coconut caramel layer! Just let the chocolate cool and firm up before adding the coconut/caramel layer. Pictured below is an example of a cookie with the extra chocolate layer!!
Be sure to store these in the fridge or freezer!! These are so great served right out of the freezer too! Such chewy goodness!!